Thursday, February 7, 2013

easy & hearty


I definitely did not want to cook tonight, but since we try to save eating out for one day a week (and that day is tomorrow), I hunkered down and got cooking. Luckily I had ingredients on hand to make a very tasty, satisfying, and easy pasta recipe. It's so good when I'm tired, cold, and craving richly flavored, starch-heavy comfort food.

This makes a lot of pasta and sauce for only two of us, so I only made half a package of pasta and froze half of the sauce. That way, I'll have an even easier meal on hand in the future. By the way, this is vegan-friendly--unless, of course, you add the pancetta like I did.


Bucatini with Tomato Sauce
adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine

3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
4 oz finely chopped pancetta (optional)
1/2 tsp red pepper flake (optional)
2 cups diced tomatoes (I just used a 32-oz can)
1 lb bucatini (or other long-cut pasta)

In a medium skillet, combine the olive oil, garlic, and parsley over medium-high heat. When the garlic sizzles, add the pancetta and red pepper (if using). Cook for about 1 minute, then add tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and the oil has begun to separate from the sauce. Put the water on to boil and cook the pasta according to the directions. Top the pasta with sauce and parmesan, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment